Most people have at least heard of essential oils these day.
But few can give you a good idea of what they really are.
So lets take away the mystery...
'Essential oils are the most important part of the plant.'
All plants -- whether they be shrubs, flowers, trees, roots, bushes, or even seeds -- contain aromatic essences.
These essences in the plant function as blood does in your body. And this means they are particularly designed to support essential life functions.
Essential oils are different than fatty oils.
While fatty oils are only needed until a new plant is able to produce its own food, essential oils are "essential" to the ongoing life of the plant.
Because of their unique properties, essential oils are not only vital to plant life... they also contribute to the well-being of humans. This is why essential oils have been used all through history to support good health.
And it's also why essential oils are commonly used to promote good health today.
Since plants vary in their makeup, not all essential oils are the same. They have different properties... and this means certain oils are preferred over others when it comes to supporting different systems of the body.
Commercially available essential oils also differ because they are produced for different purposes. Some are for flavoring food, others for providing a fragrance... and then there are those that are therapeutic-grade.
The generally accepted categories for essential oils are as follows:
- Made from organically grown plants
- Distilled at low temperatures
- Food grade, but…
- May contain synthetics, pesticides, fertilizers, chemical extenders, or carrier oils
- Perfume oils
- Often contain adulterating chemicals such as solvents (ex: hexane) to gain higher yields of oil per harvest. Solvents can be cancerous and are in many store bought oils
- May also be diluted 80-95% w/ alcohol
- Floral water
- Aromatic only - byproduct of Grade A distillation after oil is pulled out. Leftover water is sold to companies that fill 5% of a bottle with this leftover trash water and fill the rest with carriers and label it “pure”.
Therapeutic-grade oils have the highest standards, and are the focus of this website.
This site has been specially prepared to help you discover how you can use therapeutic essential oils for the benefit of your household.
Now that you have learned what essential oils are, you might enjoy learning how essential oils work.